How to make fried cheese in batter, a delicious appetizer
I love the concept of an aperitif and in general any lunch or dinner based on “pecking”, presenting varied dishes at the table in the center so that everyone can eat the amount they want and try everything. For it to be successful and not overwhelm us in the kitchen, it is essential to prepare simple and effective preparations and without a doubt this is one of them.
Known how to make fried cheese in batter, a delicious appetizer that requires very little elaboration and the result is irresistible, an interior of melted and creamy cheese with intense flavor and an exterior crunchy. If we also serve it with some jam (it is very typical to accompany this dish with blueberry jam) we will be creating a fantastic contrast of sweet and salty flavors.
In the recipe you will meet various tricks to ensure that the cheese does not come out of the batter when frying it and you will also learn to make a perfect frying so that the batter is crispy and not oily at all.
If you like battered appetizers you will love preparing the classic tiger mussels stuffed with bechamel or the juicy homemade chicken nuggets. Of course they could not miss the best homemade croquettes, super creamy and tasty, with tricks!or the famous homemade cordovan flamenquines, a traditional tapa Andalusian.
You will also love preparing the fried squid or battered squidthe dogfish in marinade or bienmesabe typical of Cádiz or the fried, juicy and crispy anchovies, which, although slightly, are also battered. And if you opt for vegetables, nothing better than some fried and crispy aubergines (with tricks so they don’t get oily), this cauliflower in batter, tender on the inside and very crispy on the outside or a delicious vegetable tempura (also with tricks to make it crispy and not at all oily).
Ingredients to prepare fried cheese in batter, a delicious appetizer (4 people):
- 1 camembert cheese.
- 1 egg.
- Bread crumbs.
- Olive or sunflower oil, enough to fry.
- Jam to accompany. I have used blueberry jam, and if you want to serve a homemade jam, check out our compilation with the richest homemade jams you can prepare.
Preparation, how to make the recipe for fried cheese in batter, a delicious appetizer:
- keep the Camembert in the fridge until ready to use.
- cut the cheese in 8 portions.
- put the egg in a bowl and beat it a little with a fork.
- Prepare another bowl with bread crumbs.
- Pass each portion of cheese for him eggturning it over so that it is completely impregnated.
- Take it out with the help of a fork to drain the excess egg and pass it to the bowl with the bread crumbs. There with another fork also turn it so that it is completely covered. It is important that there are no areas without coating so that later when frying the cheese does not come out.
- Give it a batter again, pass the cheese by egg and then by bread crumbsThis way it will be more crispy and we make sure that the cheese stays inside while we fry it.
- To ensure that the cheese it holds up well to frying, it needs to be cooked very cold, so choose between leaving the portions for 1 hour in the fridge or 20 minutes in the freezer. In case you want to prepare it in advance, in the freezer they should not be more than 20 minutes but in the fridge they can be several hours without problems.
- To fry it, you can use a deep fryer, although since you don’t usually fry a lot of cheese at the same time, I recommend you do it with a deep frying pan, pot or saucepan as I have done.
- heat abundant oil in the container you are going to use until it reaches 170ºC. Ideally, the temperature should be controlled with a kitchen thermometer, but if you don’t have one, make sure the oil doesn’t smoke. You can take a portion of cheese and adjust the temperature depending on what you see: if it burns very quickly, lower the temperature and if, on the contrary, it barely bubbles and takes time to brown, raise it.
- Throw the portions of battered cheese, you will have to do several batches so that the oil does not lose temperature. They will need about 2 minutes on each side so keep an eye on them and flip them over with a slotted spoon so they brown all over.
- Takes the fried cheese with a slotted spoon to a plate with kitchen paper to release the excess oil and you have it ready.
Time: 30 minutes plus cooling time
Serve and taste:
Bring the freshly fried cheese to the table though better wait 5 minutes because it keeps a lot of heat and we can burn ourselves if we try it right away. Don’t forget to serve it with a container with jam so that each diner gets the amount they prefer. If you have leftovers already fried, you can store them in the fridge 3-4 dayss and then to reheat it you can do it in the oven or in the microwave or even fry it again, although when it is best it is freshly made.
Enjoy a delicious bite, the hot and melted cheese contrasts with the crispy crust of the batter. In addition, the flavor combination of the cheese with the sweet jam It’s authentic… scandal!
Variations of the recipe for fried cheese in batter, a delicious appetizer:
You can use other types of breadcrumbs to give you an extra point. In supermarkets there is usually extra crispy breadcrumbs that are phenomenal and you can also use Japanese panko breadcrumbs, it gives very good results.
you can batter other types of cheese like Queddar cheese, soft Manchego cheese or little cheeses for example.
Try to coat the cheese well so it doesn’t come out when you fry it. You will see that sometimes there are bubbles when you bathe it in egg, because it is important that you exploit them so that they do not generate holes in the batter and thus the frying comes out perfect. In any case, if for whatever reason you are frying the cheese and it starts to come out, don’t worry, it doesn’t empty right away, you can continue cooking it a little more until it is golden and remove it.